Monday, June 18, 2007

Winter and Summer in IOWA


In Winter-MinKyung (Jamie), James (from Taiwan), Moon (from Korea)
아이오와의 겨울 - 나, 제임스, 문성오빠


In Spring - River Festival,with Hawkeye
아이오와의 봄 - 강가축제날 독수리와.

These days, English is a very important language in the world, so it is principal in Korea, too. If you can speak, hear and read English well, you can work at a big company or you can enter a good company easier than people who don’t. This reason makes people have to learn English, so a lot of Koreans want to study in the U.S.A. for English. I’m one of the people who wants to study English and work at a good company, so I chose the U.S.A. for my future. The U.S.A. is a huge country everybody knows, but I came to Iowa City. The reason I came here is that my mother’s friend who is really close to my mother like a family lives in Iowa City. My mother’s friend said, “Iowa City is so safe and silent city, so if Jamie wants to study in the U.S.A. choose here.” There wasn’t any choice for me.
Anyway, I came here about 6 months ago, so it was winter. I was very cold, so when I arrived at home, I couldn’t remember what I learned at school. Iowa City’s weather made my brain frozen. In addition, I had many problems with speaking and hearing in English, but the weather made my problems harder and harder, because my mouth and ears were frozen, too. I didn’t want to go outside at that time, so I thought, ‘Iowa is a boring city. I can’t do anything here because of the weather. This is my memory of last winter in Iowa City.
However, these days I’m pretty much happy because I love summer. I can do a lot of things outside. I can watch concerts, walk around the park and meet my friends, even though I can study harder than winter. Of course you know the reason. The reasons are summer is hot, so my brain, mouth and ears are waking up all the time. I thought again, ‘Iowa City is very peaceful, silence and sometimes activity. I love Iowa City in summer.’
The language, customs and foods are not a big problem to me, but the winter is a big problem. Actually, I’m worrying about next winter coming again.

No comments: